Because the growing trade in animals in public places – such as local squares – caused increasing nuisance, the first fully covered cattle market complex was opened in 1931 by Mayor Frans van Lanschot; the Bossche Livestock Market. The architect combined the style of the expressionist Amsterdam School with traditionalism and this design was built on a swampy piece of land just outside the centre of ‘s-Hertogenbosch. The Bossche Livestock Market started every Wednesday morning at 05:30 hrs, but on the other days of the week the building was often empty. That’s why agricultural events were also organised on these days, such as the national Easter cattle and livestock meat inspections.
In 2001 the building became listed as a National Monument. That same year, the foot-and-mouth epidemic broke out in Europe. The measures that prevented the epidemic from spreading further led to the closure of the Bossche Livestock Market.
After trade at the livestock market had come to a standstill for a few years, the renovation of the monumental building began in 2009. On February 3, 2010, an important phase – the restoration of the monumental and prominent tower – was completed in the construction project. As a symbol for this special moment, on the stroke of twelve, the clockwork of the clock was put back into operation after a long break. Not long after, ’s-Hertogenbosch’s 1931 Congress Centre opened. The renovation safeguarded the authentic character and creates an attractive conference and meeting centre.
In 2009, the renovation of the national monument part of ’s-Hertogenbosch’s Brabanthallen started. On February 3, 2010, an important phase – the restoration of the monumental and prominent tower – was completed in the construction project. As a symbol for this special moment, on the stroke of twelve, the clockwork of the clock was put back into operation after a long break. The former livestock market complex and the office building (together good for about 7,000 m²) have been designated as a national monument. The authentic character is retained and provides an attractive conference and meeting centre.